Coconut flour is a food grade product from fresh coconut meat which is dried, defatted and finely grinded to produce the flour. It is a high-quality protein product that is processed at regulated temperature and pressure without any chemical treatment and preservatives. It has a low-fat content of 10% and mesh size 80.
Coconut flour is cream colored, has bland taste. The fatty acid content of coconut flour is mostly lauric (48.4% and myristic acid(19.78%). Unlike wheat flour, coconut flour offers a good amount of essential amino acids.
The benefits of using coconut flour,
- Provides the limiting amino acids in baked products
- Good source of fiber due to its high dietary fiber content (40 %)
- Increases yield of baked products at 14-28% dough weight
- Enhances the flavor of most products (chocolate, vanilla, etc)
- Less nutty odor due to reduced oil content
- Improves the texture of baked products
- Reduced product cost, through added yield
- Increased water absorption capacity
- Volume enhancement
- Ideal for formulating supplemental feeding products.